Saxmundham railway station is less than a minutes walks from the high street. Saxmundham boasts a thriving town centre with many shops, restaurants, pubs and a museum. An outdoor market takes place every Wednesday. The Long Shop museum at Leiston as well as the seaside resort towns of Thorpeness and Aldeburgh are all easily reached by connecting bus from the railway station Monday to Saturday.
The station suffered major damage in February 2018 and is being rebuilt as a single storey structure as pictured in the design above.
- Unstaffed – buy tickets on the train or from the ticket machine
- Ticket Machine – located under the canopy next to the station building on Platform 2 (Ipswich bound side) – accepts most credit and debit cards or buy online and collect at the machine
- Help Point – station side
- Real Time information screens – both platforms
- Timetable information board – station forecourt
- Bicycle lockers – 1 / stalls – 4
- Car Park – the car park is undergoing renovation and is temporarily reduced to about 10 spaces; it will have 51 spaces when complete in mid 2020; there will also be spaces for motorcycles. The East Suffolk Council car park is located adjacent to the northeast edge of the station
- Bus Connections – First Eastern Counties 64 (from the old bus garage by the railway bridge) to Leiston and Aldeburgh (through rail/bus tickets available). Bus 521 to Leiston
- Station-to-Station Walks – Alde Valley to Wickham Market station and the Garden of Suffolk to Darsham station
Saxmundham Town Council run a comprehensive website with information on town services, events and activities, sport and leisure, and more.