Walk off that Christmas Lunch with a free guided walk through the Suffolk Countryside
The East Suffolk Lines Community Rail Partnership are hosting another of the popular series of guided walks on Wednesday 28 December offering a chance to walk off those excess calories gained from the Christmas festivities.
Starting from Brampton Station and ending in the picturesque market town of Halesworth, the five mile Wolfpack Walk takes in sites including the modern house at Belle Grove Farm with its rooftop metal dragon contrasting with traditional farmsteads nearby. Part of the route also skirts a former WW2 airfield, home to US fighters famed as `Zemke’s Wolfpack’ with their memorial to be seen close to ancient hedgerows.
Participating in the walk is free of charge and open to the public with the ramble set to follow country footpaths, bridleways and tracks. The walk leaves Brampton station at just after 11.30am following the arrival of Greater Anglia train services which leave Ipswich at 10.17 and Lowestoft at 11.07.
The walk is being led by Maureen Colledge and David Bays and is expected to take around two and a half hours. All are welcome including well-behaved dogs with the route ending at Halesworth Station; return trains run at 10 minutes past the hour to Lowestoft and 41 minutes past the hour to Ipswich.
Although refreshments are available to purchase in Halesworth at the end of the walk, it is recommended that you bring along your own drink and snack, wear suitable footwear and waterproof clothing as the route could be muddy in places. All participants take part entirely at their own risk.
The Wolfpack walk is number ten in the 2016 edition of the East Suffolk Line Walks Guide which can is also available as a download.
- Route: Brampton Station to Halesworth Station
- Date: Wednesday 28 December 2016
- Time: 11.33 (on arrival of the 10.17 from Ipswich and 11.17 from Lowestoft)
- Distance: 5 miles
- Further information: Walks no. 10 in the East Suffolk Line Walks Booklet.
- Connecting trains: 11.07 from Lowestoft, 10.17 from Ipswich.
- Essential items: Bring water and a snack as refreshments are only available at the end in Halesworth.
- Finish time: Approx 14.00 with trains to Ipswich at :41 minutes past the hour and to Lowestoft at :10 minutes past the hour.
- Led by: Maureen Colledge & David Bays.
- Cost/Booking: The walk is free of charge and there is no need to book. Just show up on the day. No insurance cover is provided – all participate at own risk.
- Equipment: Wear stout comfortable footwear and have waterproofs as the route could be muddy.
- Dogs: Well-behaved dogs welcome but must be on a lead.