The East Suffolk Lines Community Rail Partnership will host a festive guided walk on Saturday 30 December.
Woodbridge – Melton – Wickham Market
The 7.25-mile walk starts at Woodbridge station and meanders along the Deben estuary to Melton station where ramblers preferring a shorter 5.75-mile walk may join in. The route then heads north through the valley to Ufford for a drink/lunch in The White Lion pub, or picnic nearby at the church with its impressive 15th-century font cover. The walk traverses farmland footpaths and quiet roads en route to Wickham Market station and the new cafe in the village of Campsea Ashe.
Free – No Need To Book – Dog Friendly
The walk is free; there’s no need to book and your dog is welcome (and dogs ride free on the train!); just show up on the day. It starts at 10:35am at Woodbridge station upon arrival of 9:07 train from Lowestoft, the 9:28 train from Felixstowe via Ipswich, and the 10:17 train from Ipswich. For the shorter 5.75 mile option join at Melton station at 11:15 following the arrival of the 10:07 train from Lowestoft.
- Route: Woodbridge Station to Melton Station to Wickham Market Station (Campsea Ashe)
- Date: Saturday 30 December 2017
- Time: 10.35am at Woodbridge (11.15am at Melton)
- Distance: 7.25 miles from Woodbridge (5.75 miles from Melton)
- Cost: FREE – No need to book
- Further information: Walks nos. 4 and 6 in the East Suffolk Line Walks Booklet.
- Trains: 9.07 from Lowestoft, 9:28 from Felixstowe via Ipswich, 10.17 from Ipswich (10:07 from Lowestoft for the shorter walk from Melton)
- Check times before setting out: nationalrail.co.uk or phone 03457 48 49 50.
- Led by: Maureen Colledge & David Bays.
- Equipment: Stout footwear essential; have waterproofs if wet.
- Dogs: Well-behaved dogs OK if on a lead.
- Refreshments: Bring lunch or snack and drink. Available en route and at the end of the walk
- No Insurance Cover Provided: come at own risk